Price from $249
For a full list of prices, see below
Price from $249
For a full list of prices, see below
Learn harmony from working film composers.
Well-written harmony can transform your music. This online course will give you the core skills and techniques to get started writing successful four-part harmony. Unlike most music theory courses, it is firmly based in the real-world and is presented with our trademark practical, no-nonsense style.
You will learn harmony from working film composers and orchestrators. It’s a practical, inspiring online music course that delivers four-part harmony on a need-to-know basis. There’s nothing you’ll learn that you can’t use to improve your music right now. Hours of video tutorials, detailed supporting text with loads of examples, this course will bring this subject to life and turbo charge your composition.
- Show-how video tutorials demonstrate exactly how to tackle each step in the process and bring the subject to life.
- Detailed course text packed with examples and delivered in our game-changing course reader.
- Essential harmony knowledge presented in a lively and accessible way.
- Access all of the materials online forever, or download them to read/watch/listen to offline – an invaluable resource you’ll be going back to over and over again.
What Will I Learn?
- Four part harmony in major keys starting from scratch. Learn the core skills required to produce well written harmony.
- How to harmonise cadences and short phrases in three and four parts. Progress from short two and three chord cadences to longer phrases in easy to follow progressive steps.
- How to use the first inversion and non-accented passing notes. Once the core skills are mastered you can start to add interest to your arrangements that bring them to life.
- Learn about harmonic rhythm. How to pace your arrangement, how often to change chord and when to introduce subtle changes to the harmonic texture.
- How to write more effective bass lines, literally the foundations on which your arrangement is built. But there’s more to bass lines than simply relying on root position.
- Speed up your harmonic workflow. Learn techniques for tackling a wide variety of musical problems so you can harmonise them efficiently and with confidence.
Who’s Teaching Me?
Hours of video tutorials, walking you through every step of the way with film composer and orchestrator, Rachel James who’s credits include James Bond video games, several Marvel animated feature films and much more. She’s also a harmony guru with not one but two master’s degrees in music. She’s joined by award winning film and TV composer Guy Michelmore to unravel and explain the amazing world of harmony.
Choose the Gold Edition and get personal feedback and tuition on your assignments from a working professional, somebody who really lives and breathes harmony and can help you really master this vital musical skill.
An introduction to what harmony is and what you’ll need to complete the course.
A revision of all the basic knowledge that you will need in order to complete the course, including tonality and how triads are constructed.
Unit 1: Cadences
An introduction to cadences and the principals of harmonising them and the perfect cadence in 3 parts.
Unit 2: Cadences in Four Parts
How to harmonise the perfect cadences in 4 parts, taking into consideration voicings and note doublings.
Unit 3: More Cadences
How to harmonise the imperfect and plagal cadences in 3 and 4 parts.
Unit 4: First Inversion and Interrupted Cadence
Introduction of inversions into the harmonic writing and how to harmonise the interrupted cadence. How to avoid parallel fifths and approaches to the perfect cadence.
Unit 5: More chords and Inversions
Looking at the second inversion and how to use it along with more approaches to the perfect cadence. Also start adding more chords to the basic pallet already learnt.
Unit 6: Real Music
Start looking at the importance of the bass line as well as the chordal spacing above it. Here we familiarise with the ranges of the vocalists and start writing for strings as well.
Unit 7: Short Phrases
Harmonise complete short phrases and start considering harmonic rhythm.
Unit 8: Full Phrases
Harmonise longer phrases with the addition of more chords. Also start adding interest into our harmony with non-accented passing notes.
If you want to get even more out of your Harmony One course then why not upgrade to Gold?
Personal Feedback: Everyone on the course gets access to all the harmony projects, but only on the Gold course can you send in your work to get personal feedback from a professional tutor: Invaluable advice that can set you on the right path, insights that can make all the difference to your personal development and career.
Time Requirements: The course lasts roughly 6 months and assumes two hours a week (these are very approximate times and can vary greatly from student to student). Once you own the course, you keep it forever, so you are able to take as long as you need to get the assignments right, but we recommend that you should allow for around 2 hours a week to keep your rate of progress steady. You are able to submit 10 projects, or you can purchase tutorial credits that allow you to submit more.
- Harmony One
- Harmony One
- Well, what are you waiting for? Beat Bach at his own game and get started with four part harmony.
- Enrol Now
We expect people who take the Harmony One course to be able to read treble and bass clef to a reasonably competent level, as well as having a firm grasp of the rudiments of music. You should understand how keys, scales and triads are formed, and you will be expected to communicate with and understand musical vocabulary.
You need access to a reliable broadband internet connection to download and stream the course materials, preferably 5Mb/s or better. We need an active email address that can receive emails from us. Course materials are both streamed and downloadable and in total can come to 20Gbs or more so you need at least enough disk space to store the materials as well.
You will need a score-writing program of some sort, we recommend Sibelius, however other alternatives are available (but not necessarily supported). If you’re unsure of what to go for, please feel free to get in contact and we can advise you further.
Computer & Software
Your computer must be able to perform fairly well under a reasonable amount stress, however most household PCs and Macs can handle the workload required of the course.
Downloadable course materials are only enabled after the money-back guarantee has either been waived or expired (30 days after purchase).
My name is Bradley and I’m the student support manager here at ThinkSpace. If you have any questions that you’d like answering, please don’t hesitate to fill in the contact form below, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.