Price from $249
For a full list of prices, see below
Price from $249
For a full list of prices, see below
Learn more advanced harmony.
If you already have a basic grounding in four-part harmony, this online course will introduce you to more advanced techniques that will once again transform your music. While you will learn advanced harmonic techniques like modal and chromatic harmony, this online music theory course is always focussed on real-world examples and techniques. Presented by working, professional film and games composers, the practical focus of the course brings the subject to life.
- Higher-level harmony presented in a lively and accessible way.
- Hours of detailed show-how videos work through practical examples and explain techniques step by step.
- Detailed course text packed with examples and delivered in our game-changing course reader.
- Fully downloadable course materials for you to keep, an invaluable source of reference for years to come.
Well, what are you waiting for? What do John Williams, Thomas Newman and Arnold Schoenberg have in common? They all know this stuff – so why don’t you?!
What Will I Learn?
- Advanced harmonic techniques from modal harmony to counterpoint. You will go beyond major key harmony and learn to work minor keys as well as opening up a world of possibilities harmonising in different modes.
- Use of extended chromatic chords. Learn to use augmented 6ths, 11ths and 13ths with confidence to increase the range of tonal colours in your music.
- Learn about modulation, secondary dominants and how to change key effectively breathing new life into your music.
- More advanced techniques for adding emotive power and impact to your music. Learn how to use inversions, accented passing notes, suspensions and anticipations to give personality to your compositions.
- Acquire fresh compositional techniques – use of retrograde phrases, reflection and mirroring, working with pedal notes and more.
- Master stylistic approaches to harmony by studying its use by film composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer and John Barry.
Who’s Teaching Me?
Rachel James is a well established composer and orchestrator with credits including James Bond video games, several Marvel animated feature films and much more. She’s also a harmony guru with not one but two master’s degrees in music. She’s joined by award winning film and tv composer Guy Michelmore to unravel and explain the amazing world of harmony.
Choose the Gold Edition and get personal feedback on your projects from a working professional composer or orchestrator; somebody with a practical knowledge of music theory and harmony.
Unit 1: Recap and Moving On
A review of the material covered in Harmony 1 and moving on to introduce chords of the Dominant 7th.
Unit 2: Adding Interest
New techniques to enhance your music including accented passing notes, suspensions and anticipations.
Unit 3: Better Writing
Fresh ways to add an extra dimension to your composition. How to use reflecting motifs, pedal notes and more.
Unit 4: Modulation
Interesting ways to change key including use of secondary dominants and more.
Unit 5: Further chords
Introducing more complex chromatic chords including 9th and 11th and augmented 6th chords.
Unit 6: More Full Phrases
This time expanding your tonal horizon to include minor and modal harmony.
Unit 7: Counterpoint
An introduction of this foundational technique in western music with a look at cannons and fugues.
Unit 8: Harmonic Style
How harmony becomes part of your musical personality with a look at Bach, Mozart and Haydn as well as the harmonic approach of film composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer and John Barry.
If you want to get even more out of your Music for the Media course then why not upgrade to Gold?
Personal Feedback: Work on real-world professional projects and then send in your work to get personal feedback from a working media composer. Invaluable advice that can set you on the right path, insights that can make all the difference to your career.
- Harmony Two
- £179 / $249 / €229
- Harmony Two Gold Edition
- £345 / $449 / €429
- Interest-free instalment Plan
from £48 / $66 / €62 a month.
- Enrol Now
We expect people who take the Harmony Two course to be able to read treble and bass clef to a very competent level, as well as having a firm grasp of the rudiments, and more advanced aspects of music theory. You should understand how keys, scales and triads are formed, and you will be expected to communicate with and understand musical vocabulary.
You need access to a reliable broadband internet connection to download and stream the course materials, preferably 5Mb/s or better. We need an active email address that can receive emails from us. Course materials are both streamed and downloadable and in total can come to 20Gbs or more so you need at enough disk space to store the materials as well.
You will need a score-writing program of some sort, we recommend Sibelius, however other alternatives are available (but not necessarily supported). If you’re unsure of what to go for, please feel free to get in contact and we can advise you further.
Computer & Software
Your computer must be able to perform fairly well under a reasonable amount stress, however most household PCs and Macs can handle the workload required of the course.
The course lasts 6 months and assumes approximately two hours a week. You are required to submit 10 projects, each of which should take very roughly 2 hours of work. These are very approximate and vary greatly from student to student.
Downloadable course materials are only enabled after the money-back guarantee has either been waived or expired.
My name is Bradley and I’m the student support manager here at ThinkSpace. If you have any questions that you’d like answering, please don’t hesitate to fill in the contact form below, or email me at email@example.com.