Learn Music Theory
With Guy Michelmore
- Over 12 hours of video tutorials.
- Check your progress with short quizzes throughout the course.
- Comprehensive course notes and illustrations supporting the video tutorials.
- Lifelong access and 30-day money back guarantee.
The course is divided into two parts. Part one begins with the fundamentals, looking at pitch, octaves, scales. and keys. Then you will learn about chords and harmony, before moving on to rhythm and music notation. The second part of the course takes you into deeper ideas, such as extended chords and progressions. It is these ideas that can show you how music theory can make you a better musician and songwriter.
By the end you will also understand extended chromatic chords, how a full orchestral score works, and how to create a lead sheet.
- First fundamentals through to advanced concepts – it is a complete music theory journey.
- Tutorials to support every level of knowledge and curiosity – choose your own path.
- Over 9 hours of video tutorials explaining every aspect of music theory in Guy's distinctive and uniquely accessible style.
- Music theory for guitarists.
How It Works
The Core Video Tutorials explain the essential concepts and ideas in a simple and straightforward manner.
Didn’t quite get it first time? Don’t worry, many of the main ideas are supported by Further Explanation Videos, just like when you ask your teacher to explain something again.
If you get it first time you can move on, or choose one of the Going Deeper tutorials which look at more complicated and advanced ideas.
You can then check your understanding with a Short Quiz.
The Course Notes give you a detailed, written explanation of the ideas in the video tutorials supported with illustrations and diagrams. This means it is easier to look back on and allows us to add lots of additional details. The Course Notes alone would make a fantastic music theory book. Alongside the video tutorials and quizzes, this truly unique course will give you a structured and accessible approach to learning music theory.
Part One: The Fundamentals
Part Two: Music Theory in Action
His unique and accessible style has made him a popular YouTuber with over 100,000 subscribers.
As a music theory enthusiast, Tom has written numerous blog posts and course texts for ThinkSpace Education. In addition, Tom is a regular gigging musician, playing numerous festivals and venues across the UK, and as a recording artist has performed on TV shows, documentaries, apps, podcasts and more.